Jennifer Tilly, Vicky Coren-Mitchell Up for Women in Poker Hall of Fame
This year's finalists include six players and one industry professional, all deserving of induction.
In addition, the WIPHOF has announced a key change that will allow the fans to have a say in who is inducted later this month.
Tilly, Coren-Mitchell and Rosario Headline Finalists
The WIPHOF issued a press release on Saturday announcing the seven finalists for induction. This year's class includes both old school pros and modern day stars along with an unsung hero of the industry.
Below is a list of the seven finalists and a brief bit on why they are qualified for induction:
- Debbie Burkhead - Major part of women's poker since 1995. Major player on the circuit in mixed games and has also worked for several major poker publications, including Poker Player Newspaper
- Karina Jett - Became a major player on the circuit after the poker boom. She has over $500k in poker earnings and a runner-up finish in the Ladies Championship in 2011. She is also a board member for the WIPHOF.
- Mandy Glogow - The one unknown on this year's list. She is the Supervising Producer of the World Poker Tour on FS1. She has helped women to take prominent roles on the broadcast over the years.
- Shirley Rosario - One of the pioneers of the Women in Poker movement. She formerly ran Poker-Babes.com, a site dedicated to women in poker following the boom. She is also an elite mixed games player on the West Coast.
- Victoria Coren-Mitchell - The first person in history to win two EPT Main Events. With over $2 million in career earnings, she has the highest earnings of any of the finalists.
- Jennifer Tilly - Winner of the 2005 WSOP Ladies Champions and largely credited for the explosion in popularity of the event in the years following.
- Esther Rossi - One of the greatest Stud players in the world, Rossi has been a staple in live casinos for the last 30 years. She also has a Super Bowl of Poker title in Stud along with six WSOP final tables.
WIPHOF Announces Fan Voting for Finalists
The WIPHOF also announced a change in the voting process for 2016. This year, fans will get a chance to vote on the person they think should be inducted.
Poker fans will act as one member of the WIPHOF selection panel that's normally consisted of HOF members, board members and media personnel.
From now through Noon on May 13, fans cast their vote for the finalist they prefer. After voting concludes, the 10 votes normally given to panel members will be distributed based on percentages.
This form of voting is similar to what Caesars does for the nomination process. The difference is that the nomination process is completely open and fan voting can be highly subjective to whichever player has been popular in recent months.
Fan voting for the WIPHOF should be less subjective and should give a better idea of which woman they feel should be enshrined.
Inductees to Be Announced Later This Month, Induction in July
During the press release, the WIPHOF revealed that they will announce the 2016 Class later this month.
The WIPHOF has historically inducted at least two women each year. In 2008, the inaugural year, they inducted four.
This year's induction ceremony will be held on July 6, 2016 at the Gold Coast Casino in Las Vegas, NV.
The event will kick off at 11 am with a luncheon followed by an induction ceremony. A tournament is listed as part of the festivities but a time and location for that tournament was not listed.
Those wishing to take part in the ceremony can purchase a ticket for the event. Tickets are $45 in advance or $50 at the door.